Adding a water feature or fountain to your outdoor area is a fantastic idea that can really add something special to your garden. However, the running costs and electrical requirements of using an electric pump can be off-putting. That is why many people are choosing the solar powered water feature/fountain option. This removes the costs of running an electric pump and removes all of the electrical requirements and potential dangers. A solar water feature really is the best option in most cases.
Advantages of a solar water feature
There are a number of advantages of a solar water feature/fountain and these include:
- There are no running costs for a solar pump. This not only benefits you in a financial sense, but also means you are having less of an impact of the environment.
- A solar powered garden pump can be used almost anywhere, as long as there is enough sun.
- No concerns about running an extension cord/electricity out into your garden and/or having the electricity exposed to the elements.
- Does not require direct sunlight to operate. They will work in cloudy and overcast conditions.
- Some solar pumps come with a battery backup for times when the solar panel is not providing enough power.
- These pumps will continue to run for many years with little to no maintenance.
Types of solar water features/fountains
There are many different types of water features and fountains and solar models are available in almost any size and shape that you can think of. However, in terms of a solar setup there are three main options, which are listed below.
A readymade kit includes everything that you will need to install your solar water feature/fountain. This will include the water feature itself, the pump, the solar panel and all wiring required. These kits are a great way to get started and you can usually have the entire system setup and running in under an hour. These are really easy to install and there is no knowledge of electrical components required.
You can also choose to purchase the individual components separately. This means that you will need to find a separate pump and then a solar cell that is capable of running your pump. This is best for those with some experience working with electrical systems. The advantage of this method is that it usually works out cheaper to source each part individually rather than purchasing a complete kit. It also allows you to only purchase what you need. For example, if you already have a pump then you won’t need to purchase another one.
The third option is for those that already own an electric water feature and want to convert it to run on solar power. This means you will need to purchase an appropriate solar cell and create new electrical connections. A solar conversion is best handled by a professional if you have limited experience.